No matter how carefully we try to take notes, sometimes pen marks can be found on the fabric. Often, such problems can deliver by kids. A prank turns into a lot of trouble because every parent knows it is almost impossible to remove ink with powder. Do not despair and throw away the thing; how to get pen ink out of clothes with improvised means without resorting to dry cleaning services.
You might be surprised, but ink traces are easy to remove even from a white chiffon blouse. We suggest using only proven methods that work 100% and guarantee the procedure’s success. The agents used do not destroy the tissue structure. This means that the wardrobe item wears not only at their summer cottage. Which method is suitable for you should determine the type of fabric and the ink composition from which the stains formed.
How to Get Pen Ink Out of Clothes
A stain is considered fresh if you find it a couple of minutes after its formation. And immediately proceed to remove it so that it does not have time to soak into the material.
In this case, the ideal absorbents are:
- Cosmetic product for powdering baby skin;
- Chalk powder is always white.
Sprinkle a dirty area with one of the proposed products and wait a couple of minutes. Then blot with a damp cloth.
The above list of absorbents may not always be at hand. In modern apartments, it is easier to find various chemical products. Therefore, if you have a stain remover, then you are lucky. You will save not only your time but save you from unnecessary trouble. See below for how to remove ink from fabric.
Apply the stain remover to the dirt with precise movements and wait fifteen minutes. Then fill the item of clothing with cool water, leaving for twenty minutes. Then wash it in any powder.
The next method is more suitable for employees of medical institutions. They use a ballpoint pen all the time, and marks are a common operating cost. Doctors certainly know how to remove ink from fabric. And how you can get rid of trouble in the workplace.
Ingredients for Removing Ink from Clothes
How to Remove Ink from Fabric with a Cotton Pad
An alternative to a stain remover than to wash ink from a pen from fabric is ammonia and alcohol. You need to wet the cotton pad abundantly and put it on the dirt, waiting for about two minutes. The procedure must be repeated 3-4 times using a clean cotton pad until the ink brightens. After that, wash the product in the usual way.
Parents know how to remove ink from fabric in the first minutes of its appearance at home. This option is also suitable for lovers of environmentally friendly products. To implement it, you need milk and lemon. Natural products’ “magic” composition is so unique that, penetrating deep into the fabric, it can easily cope with any flaws.
How to Remove Ink from Fabric with Lemon
Lemon juice successfully removes ballpoint pen marks. A piece of cotton wool was dipped into the liquid and applied to the contaminated area, pressing lightly. After a few minutes, the cotton wool will absorb the ink and clean the material.
The action of citric acid can enhance with table salt. The fabric was laid out on the table, and the stain was sprinkled with finely ground powder. Pour lemon juice over salt. The liquid should soak the treated area well. After 3-4 hours, clothes should wash by hand in a cool solution of laundry soap.
Instead of juice, you can take citric acid. The ink trace must first be well wet with cold water, then pour the powder on it—Wash clothes after 1 hour.
The old contamination was abundantly soaked with lemon juice, and after half an hour, it was poured over with vinegar (9%) and heated to 50 ° C. After half an hour, the fabric was rinsed under running water. Suppose you pour an aqueous solution of vinegar essence or lemon juice (30 – 40%) on the trace of a ballpoint pen heat until bubbles appear. In that case, the pollution will brighten and disappear literally before your eyes. Washing will complete the cleaning process.
Lemon juice has mild bleaching properties and can cause fabric discoloration. Therefore, it is necessary to remove ink lines on colored clothes with caution.
Removing Ballpoint Pen Marks with Alcohol
If it is not possible to remove the paste with laundry soap and lemon juice, it is recommended to use alcohol. Alcohol (or vodka) is poured into a saucer, a cotton ball is dipped, and the soiled area is treated. Then the material needs to rub a little with your hands and moisten with water. If the dirt cannot remove the first time, you must repeat the procedure. The material must dry before re-treatment of contaminants. Alcohol dissolves the ink better when the fabric is dry.
You can remove the blot in several stages using ethyl alcohol. The liquid is generously moistened with pollution, and then a few drops of hydrogen peroxide are placed on it. After a couple of minutes, when the chemical reaction is over, the clothes should wash by hand with laundry soap.
You can remove the paste with a mixture of medical alcohol and acetone. The components are mixed in equal parts. The composition is heating in a water bath to +40 … + 50 ° C, then applied to the soiled area and ironed with hot iron through clean, moistened gauze. If there are stains on light fabric, they should rub with a cotton swab with ammonia. Small fresh contamination can wipe off with alcohol injection wipes.
Removing Pen Stains with Ammonia
You can wash a ballpoint pen with a mixture of medical and ammonia. This composition will remove the stain from coarse and dense fabric (denim or coat). The components are mixed in equal parts. When the paste disappears, you need to wash the item in a typewriter or by hand. To remove an unpleasant odor, you can rinse the clothes in a solution of vinegar (1 tablespoon of the substance per 1 liter of water).
The contaminated area is rubbed with a cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide. Then, an ammonia solution is applied (1 tablespoon per 1 glass of water), and clothes are washed.
You can prepare a more concentrated solution of ammonia and warm water. The ingredients are mixed in equal proportions. Moisten the stain with the composition using a cotton swab. When the fabric is clean, it is washed.
A composition is prepared from ammonia and hydrogen peroxide in a 1: 2. It applies to a swab or cotton swab and wipes over the ink stain. Then the thing is processed in cold water.
A composition of ammonia and baking soda will help remove the paste from the handle. The components are mixed in equal proportions, and the substance is applied to the material both from the front side of the fabric and from the inside. After a few hours, the thing was washed with laundry soap.
Cleaning Clothes with Dairy Products
Dairy products will save the delicate thing. Even velvet can wash in this way. A piece of clothing with a contaminated area is soaking in milk for 1 hour. If it is not possible to immerse the fabric in the liquid, pour a little milk on the stain. When it absorbs pollution, the material must wash.
To wash the pen from white clothes, it is better to use a serum. It contains lactic acids, which have bleaching properties. It is advisable to use a fresh product. If there is sour milk, it should warm up a little and be strained through a cheesecloth. The resulting serum is applied to the stain for 1 hour. After dissolving the paste, the item was washed. To restore the whiteness of the fabric, it is recommended to add a few drops of ammonia to the soap solution.
How to Get Ink Out of Clothes with Baking Soda
Fresh ink can wash from clothes with soda:
- Stir a little soda with water to make a slurry;
- Apply on the stain, rub a little;
- Wait half an hour;
- Wash by hand.
Elimination of Traces of Paste with Laundry Soap
Laundry soap is applied to a fresh stain. You need to use a brown bar. Solid white or liquid soap does not have the necessary properties and will not help remove the stain. After 10-15 minutes, the clothes are rinsed in cold water. If there are traces of contamination after washing, the procedure must do again.
Before washing the pen from clothes, it is better to treat it with a stain remover. Vanish, ACE, and Amway stain removers have proven themselves well. The preparation based on natural bile “Antipyatin” was successfully used.
If your white clothes are made from cotton or linen, you can use bleach products that contain chlorine. They are diluted with water in equal proportions and moistened with a pollution solution.
To clean natural or artificial leather from the paste, you can use a soapy solution with the addition of table salt. In a glass with a solution, add 1 tbsp. l. salt and wipe the contaminated area with the resulting composition. The remaining dirt is removed from the treated area with a soft, damp cloth when the handle traces disappear. Then wipe it dry with a piece of cotton knitted fabric.
How to Remove a Stain?
It is equally important to consider the type of fabric, choose a safe cleaner and know the temperature when washing.
1. How to Remove Old Ink from Fabric
If you find old spots on the product’s handle, do not worry that you will have to say goodbye to it. Please take it to the chemical treatment; experts probably know how to remove ink from the fabric. But if you do not have such an opportunity, use our advice.
Clothing made of colored materials requires delicate care. A softer mixture of glycerin and alcohol is suitable for her. They are taken in the following proportions: two parts of one and five of the other. “Miracle Cocktail” is applied to the stain and aged for two hours. Wash the item in the usual way.
Ink is removed from clothes made of synthetic fabric or natural silk using heated kefir, in which the item is soaked for three hours. Wash, and the result will surprise you.
2. How to Get Ink Out of Wool
Wool is a delicate fabric, so you need to resort to less radical options to remove marks from the pen. Ideal, in this case, is mustard, which is mixed with warm water to a state of thick sour cream. Mustard seven applies to the spots left for a while until it dries. The mustard crust is peeling off at the same time as the ink. Next, you need to wash the product in warm water using soap.
3. How to Remove Ink from Cotton Fabric
Cotton or linen clothing can be cleaned using the following household products:
- Ammonia. Suitable for thin fabrics, women’s blouses or T-shirts are sewn. It can remove ink stains on white clothes without leaving marks. To do this, prepare a solution: a glass of warm water + 5 ml of ammonia. We moistened a cotton pad and wiped the contaminated area in the resulting solution. Then we wash it in the usual way.
- “White Spirit.” This cleaner can remove old and profoundly ingrained ink. The sponge picks up the cleaner and processes the stains. Let stand for 30 minutes, then rinse under running water and wash in the usual way. Suitable only for thick cotton.
- Lemon. Lemon juice is great for removing fresh blots. For old stains, cleaning takes place twice. Not suitable for whites as it may leave yellowish streaks.
- For heavier cotton, such as a men’s shirt, any alcohol solution will do. Wet the fabric with it, wait until the stain is lighter, and then wash it.
4. Removing Stains from Leather
Leather jackets, sofas, gloves, bags, and other products are cleaned of ink (gel or ballpoint) using one of the following products:
- Salt and turpentine.
- Tape and eraser.
- Cosmetic cream.
- Glycerin and ammonia.
- Polish for hair.
Salt is generously sprinkled on the resulting contamination on the skin and left for several days after you need to shake off the salt and rub the stain well with turpentine.
You can try removing the ink stain with masking tape. The adhesive tape is glued and strongly pressed to the stained place, after which it is peeled off, and the surface is cleaned with a stationery eraser (it is good to use a special one to remove ink from paper).
Using the cream for hands, face, or even feet is quite straightforward: apply to the stain and leave for 2-3 minutes. The cream is removed from the contamination with a dry, clean cotton swab and then washed with a warm, mild soapy solution.
You can use glycerin and ammonia mixed in equal proportions on fair skin. You can only try glycerin before washing a gel pen (ballpoint pen) with this method. Apply it with a cotton swab and leave, after which they wipe the contamination with a clean cloth.
It is possible to remove a fresh stain from the rod on the skin with alcohol (cologne, alcohol lotion, alcohol-impregnated wet wipes, or toilet water are also used). The composition is applied to the contamination and immediately wiped with a dry cloth, after which the procedure is repeated.
For women, hairspray is especially popular to remove pen marks on leather surfaces. It is simply sprayed on the surface and immediately wiped off, after which the manipulation is repeated.
5. Off the Jacket
- To clean a raincoat jacket, you can use acetone, alcohol, or an alcohol-containing solution. Apply acetone to the stain, blot with a damp cloth, and wash in a cool soapy solution.
- To remove ink from a fabric jacket, alcohol compounds, acetone, soapy water, and cleaning products will also help. In this case, it is essential to first check from the wrong side whether the selected recipe will damage the fabric.
6. With Jeans
- You can clean jeans with a ballpoint pen with chalk. Moreover, the faster it is used, the more effectively removing the stain. Just sprinkle the stain with crushed chalk (you can replace it with talc or starch) and blot with a napkin. Then we wash it in the usual way.
- You can also pre-treat denim with an alcohol solution or an alcohol-containing product. After the contaminated area must be sprinkled with salt and washed.
- Acid (acetic essence or lemon juice). We heat the aqueous solution of acids until bubbles appear and moisten the cloth. The stain brightens and, after washing, disappears altogether.
For light jeans, a solution of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia is safe.
7. With Colored Fabric
The methods are:
- To clean cotton-colored things, a turpentine-ammonia solution is used. The compositions are mixed in equal proportions, and the stain is wiped with a solution. Old stains should soak in the solution for 20 minutes, and only after that, we wash the product.
- “White Spirit.” Used for cotton items. Before cleaning colored materials, it is necessary to check whether they will discolor the fabric. To do this, we check it on an inconspicuous area, from the wrong side.
8. Jackets and Sweaters
The material requires a delicate approach. Do not use aggressive cleaners here:
- Milk products. This is a gentle method. The universal way will clean cotton, knitted, and linen fabrics with the same success. The product is first slightly heated, and the clothes are left in it to lie down for a couple of hours. In the end, rinse thoroughly, then wash in the usual way.
- Soda. To prepare it, it is necessary to mix soda and warm water so that the mixture looks like a slightly watery slurry. Spread the paste over the stain and leave for 10 minutes. The rest of the soda is removed with a cotton pad and washed as usual.
- Mustard. It can remove both fresh blots and old dried spots. Mixture: water + mustard powder. It should be a paste. Saturate stains and hold for 3 hours. After we remove the rest of the paste and wash it in the usual way, the water should be cold.
- Kerosene. Particularly effective against fresh ink. We treat the stain and wait until it turns pale using a cotton pad or any rag. Due to the strong specific smell, we use an air conditioner during washing and dry it in the fresh air.
9. Suit Fabric
To remove traces from the pants, you need to try. Sometimes dry cleaning services are indispensable. From improvised means are used:
- acetic acid or lemon juice. We process the contaminated place, and then we erase it;
- ammonia with hydrogen peroxide. Substances are mixed in equal proportions and wiped the stain;
- Alcohol with salt. In the beginning, we process the ink with alcohol, then sprinkle it with salt and hold it for 30 minutes. After we erase in the usual way;
- Residual ink streaks can be removed with soap suds. We apply foam and lightly rub it with a brush. Suitable for old stains.
Some useful tips to help remove ink stains quickly and without problems:
- A fresh stain, just put, must first be dried with paper or a paper towel, blotting movements.
- In no case should you wash things, as the ink eats deeper into the fabric and is harder to remove?
- Be sure to read the label on the clothes to know precisely at what temperature the clothes can be washed.
- A specific cleaning agent is used for each fabric, so it is essential to focus on the type of fabric and its composition when choosing them.
- To check how the cleaning agent affects the fabric, they first try to apply it on the wrong side.
- Wax can stop the ink from spreading further on the fabric to outline the edges of the stain.
- When removing a stain, you need to start from the edge and move towards the center. This is necessary so that it does not increase in size.
- You can collect fresh ink with a napkin, clean cloth, or cotton pad. Ordinary talc is also used, which successfully absorbs moisture and absorbs ink accordingly.
To avoid unpleasant surprises, all home remedies should be tested on small, inconspicuous areas, and only after that should extensive contamination be treated. Fresh blots are removed better and faster. If, as a result, you are not quite sure (especially when things made of genuine leather are dirty), then it is better to take the product to dry cleaning. Professionals have a lot of really practical tools created specifically for such cases in their arsenal, and they have more experience. True, and you have to pay a round sum for the work. But this is nothing compared to the return of a presentable look to your favorite expensive furniture or clothes. We hope you found how to get pen ink out of clothes in this article above.